Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I Did It! One Last Mets Game at Shea Stadium

Cross it off the list: One Last Mets Game at Shea Stadium

She was hot and spicy with taut, caramel-colored skin and soft buns...

...and that was just my sausage sandwich with peppers and onions!

I wanted to take a cheesecake photo of this ravishing beauty, but she was devoured all too quickly. This specimen was MUCH better than the one I ate at Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago.

I couldn't believe the progress that's been made on the construction of the new ballpark. The new construction butts right up against the outfield wall. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the construction crew makes a little cash on the side selling home run balls on eBay.



Old glory, my free giveaway hat, and construction cranes practically in the outfield.


Say what you will about the neon-colored atrocity that is Shea Stadium, but the seats are actually pretty comfy, the food is decent (I ate a sausage sandwich and ANOTHER Nathan's hot dog,) and the ushers aren't on power trips. At Yankee Stadium, the usher wouldn't let us take a quick photo from the lower level with the field in the background - even after we told him that it was the first trip to the stadium for one of the adorable toddlers we had with us. At Shea, there's a trick to it: blow straight past the usher, quickly scan the area containing your desired seating, pinpoint an empty seat, stride toward it confidently, and sit down as if you own the joint. This method has NEVER failed me. I bought an upper deck ticket and sat in the good seats. Once, I bought an upper deck ticket and sat IN THE OWNER'S BOX. I was not ejected. Not even when the owner showed up. You could never pull that off at the House that Ruth Built.


My beautiful neon-colored toilet... Shea Stadium.

Oh, and the beer's good too at Shea. I have found that there are two experiences that are greatly enhanced by being buzzed: baseball games and visiting museums.

It was Military Appreciation Day and discounted (maybe free?) tickets were available to all servicemen and women who attended in uniform. I'm pleased to see that members of our Armed Services were smart enough to reject the wearing of garments constructed of double-knit polyester in July in NYC. I saw virtually NO uniforms. Except for the guy who RE-ENLISTED RIGHT THERE ON THE FIELD at Shea during the pre-game festivities which included: a performance by the USO (so cute!), an appearance by the remaining Tuskegee Airmen, and a fighter jet flyover (LOUD.)


There were recruiters for each branch present (and man, did they look bored.) I'm all for supporting the troops, but I have to admit, I'm relieved to be too old (and possibly too fat and too stupid) to enlist. These are the same qualities which also preclude me from enlisting in both the Salvation Army or Old Navy.

I even got a great new Mets cap as part of a Jeep promotional giveaway... I anticipate using this to incur the wrath of Dodger fans on my inaugural trip to their stadium!

No comments: