Friday, July 20, 2007

I Did It! New York Philharmonic performs free in Central Park - And Fireworks!

Cross it off the list: New York Philharmonic performs free in Central Park - And Fireworks!

I didn't bring my camera, I wanted to focus on the music, but here's a photo from the New York Philharmonic's website.


As you can see, it was PACKED. I can only imagine this turnout was the result of the first and only other concert in Central Park being rained out.

But there's just something about laying out under the stars with a lunchbox full of cheese, crackers, and olives (and a thermos full of viognier,) that this town finds irresistible.

I'd like to think that the only interruption was the collective sigh of a grateful city, but as you can hear from this recording, people were enjoying this city-wide picnic... loudly! If you listen closely, you may hear soprano Measha Brueggergosman, who made her Philharmonic debut at this concert.

I'll miss stuff like this, but I'm moving to a place where the weather permits this sort of thing practically year-round, so I can't feel too badly about it...

No comments: