Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Did It! Guest Bartend at the Gael Pub

Proprietor of the Gael Pub: "Hey! STOP groping the help!"

Me: "Sorry, Gene."

Proprietor of the Gael Pub: "No, I was talking to him." [points at regular bartender.]

Thus went our guest bartending stint at The Gael Pub.



Nicole (partner in guest bartending crime,) Fin (resident intoxicologist,) Me

When I mentioned to people that I was doing this, there was such unbridled envy! Apparently, this is something everyone has wanted to try in their lifetime. But anyone can guest bartend there - just sign up!

It was so much fun, I only broke one glass, and I made TIPS! (Which I then promptly gave back to the bar once my "shift" ended and we began buying drinks in earnest.)

Our adventure in hospitality services nearly didn't happen. Unbeknownst to us, a local softball team, fresh from the field of battle, was slated to enjoy their victory with the presentation of the league trophy later that night at the pub. Gene had attempted to contact me to cancel but failed to get through to me - even though I'd had my phone on me all day. A little research uncovered that Gene had taken down my number one digit off. Once there, he asked us if we'd consider rescheduling. I calmly explained that I was soon to be leaving town for good, I had invited A LOT of people, and it was my BIRTHDAY! We agreed that we'd bartend as planned and if we ended up being more trouble than help, they could throw us out.

It was awesome. If I ever decide I need a career change... this is it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Dawson had left his creek and took up bartending.