Friday, June 29, 2007

To Do: Ride The Cyclone in Coney Island

What: Visit Coney Island and ride The Cyclone as it celebrates its 80th birthday.

When: A.S.A.P.



The Cyclone has consistently ranked at or near the top of every roller coaster top ten list published. It has been proclaimed the world's greatest by a broad spectrum of media institutions and roller coaster aficionados. Time Magazine quoted Charles Lindbergh as saying that a ride on the Cyclone was more thrilling than his historic first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Emilio Franco, a mute since birth, regained his voice on the Cyclone, uttering his first words ever -- "I feel sick"! In April 2001, singer Nikki Lauren became the first person ever to present a live musical performance in the Cyclone's historic loading station.

As soon as I mentioned to friends that I needed to do this, as least two of them reported major health issues (some requiring chiropractic treatment) soon after they rode it.

This only makes me want to ride it more.

I guarantee that I am the only person you know who gets car sick without fail, but simply can't pass up a good roller coaster. The only question remaining is, will this upset my vomit streak?

If I chicken out (not likely,) there's always the Burlesque Master Class.

As a recovering Philly girl, I'm also looking forward to spending time on a boardwalk, like the ones I remember from childhood summers at the Jersey shore. I'll bet there's good eatin' to be done too!

No comments: